If you are eligible for a National Concessionary Travel Pass and live in Tyne and Wear you can travel on buses for free. Metro journeys are not free of charge but you can avoid paying full fares after 9.30am by buying a Metro Gold Card. Metro Gold Cards can only be used with a valid CT Pass. Your first Concessionary Travel Pass is free of charge.
Am I eligible for a CT Pass?
The Government has changed the age at which people become eligible for a Concessionary Travel Pass. People no longer receive a free bus pass when they reach their 60th birthday. Instead both men and women become eligible in line with the rise in the age at which women become eligible for a state pension. This rises on a sliding scale, from 60 to 65, between 2010 and 2020.
If you were born on or before 5 July 1952, you can apply for your Concessionary Travel Pass immediately. If you were born on or after 6 July 1952, please see the table below to see when you are entitled to receive a Concessionary Travel Pass, which you can apply for using the form attached.
If your date of birth is:
Your pass will start from:
|6 Jun to 5 Jul||6 Sep 2014|
|6 Aul to 5 Aug||6 Nov 2014|
|6 Aug to 5 Sep||6 Jan 2015|
|6 Sep to 5 Oct||6 Mar 2015|
|6 Oct to 5 Nov||6 May 2015|
|6 Nov to 5 Dec||6 Jul 2015|
|6 Dec 1952 to 5 Jan 1953||6 Sep 2015|
|6 Jan to 5 Feb||6 Nov 2015|
|6 Feb to 5 Mar||6 Jan 2016|
|6 Mar to 5 Apr||6 Mar 2016|
|6 Apr to 5 May||6 May 2016|
|6 May to 5 Jun||6 Jul 2016|
|6 Jun to 5 Jul||6 Sep 2016|
|6 Jul to 5 Aug||6 Nov 2016|
|6 Aug to 5 Sep||6 Jan 2017|
|6 Sep to 5 Oct||6 Mar 2017|
|6 Oct to 5 Nov||6 May 2017|
|6 Nov to 5 Dec||6 Jul 2017|
|6 Dec 1953 to 5 Jan 1954||6 Sep 2017|
With a CT Pass you can travel:
- Free of charge on buses in Tyne and Wear from 9.30am Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays
- Free anywhere else in England on local buses, between 9.30am and 11.00pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays
- For 60p on the Shields Ferry from 9.30am Monday to Friday, all day at weekends and on public holidays
- For 50p on Northern Rail services between Newcastle and Metrocentre/Blaydon, from 9.30am Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays
There are no discounted fares on Metro, or on Northern Rail services between Newcastle and Sunderland, for CT Pass holders. However you can have unlimited* travel on Metro, on Northern Rail services between Newcastle and Sunderland and also the Shields Ferry if you buy a Metro Gold Card. Pick up a leaflet for more information.
If you need to travel before 9.30am to get to or from a hospital appointment, and your journey starts in Tyne and Wear, just show your hospital appointment card or letter with your CT Pass when requested.
*Not valid before 9.30am Monday to Friday for Off Peak CT Pass holders.
How to apply
Please apply for your pass no more than 28 days before you become eligible. You will need to send us the following:
A completed application form.
- A colour passport photo (not scanned and not using your own camera/phone) attached to the application form in the box provided
- Proof of your age – for example your passport, driving licence or birth certificate
- Proof that your permanent address is in Tyne and Wear – for example a council tax, gas, electricity or phone bill
- Please send photocopies of your proof of age and address if you are applying by post
- An envelope with your name, address and a stamp on. We need this even if you take your application in to a TravelShop, so the pass can be posted back to you
Where do I send my application?
Either hand it in at any Nexus TravelShop or post it to us at Concessionary Travel, Nexus, Nexus House, St James’ Boulevard, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4AX. If you have any questions about applying for your pass, or the Concessionary Travel scheme, please call 0191 20 20 747.
I've lost my pass, what do I do?
If you think you lost your pass while using public transport, please contact the appropriate operator. Call Nexus on 0191 20 20 747 if you are unsure which operator’s service you were on. If the operator has not found your pass, you will need to complete a new application form. A replacement Concessionary Travel Pass costs £5.
You will need to send us the following:
- Completed application form
- A stamped self-addressed envelope
- £5 (cheque or postal order made payable to Nexus if posting, cash can be paid at any TravelShop)
My pass is about to run out, how do I renew it?
You can renew your pass during the month that it runs out or in the month before that. You will need to complete a new application form. There is no charge for renewing your Concessionary Travel Pass. You do not need to send in your current or expired CT Pass when you renew it. You will need to send us the following:
- Completed application form
- A stamped self-addressed envelope
How to use your Concessionary Travel Pass
- On buses – touch your card on the reader by the ticket machine when you board the bus after 9.30am Monday-Friday, all day at weekends and on public holidays. You must pay the full adult fare before 9.30am Monday-Friday
- On the Shields Ferry – show the ferry operator your pass to buy your 60p ticket from 9.30am Monday-Friday, all day at weekends and on public holidays. You must pay the full adult fare before 9.30am Monday-Friday
- On Northern Rail services between Newcastle and MetroCentre/Blaydon – from 9.30am Monday-Friday, all day at weekends and on public holidays, either buy your 50p ticket from a ticket machine or buy it from the conductor; you will need to show the conductor your pass. You must pay the full adult fare before 9.30am Monday-Friday
- On all Metro services and Northern Rail services between Newcastle and Sunderland, if you do not have a Metro Gold Card, you must pay the full adult fare at all times
How to use your Metro Gold Card
- On Metro – you need to touch in and out using the Metro station gates or validators to ensure your ticket is valid for travel. Watch our how to guide to using the gates and validators with a smartcard here. Valid for travel from 9.30am Monday-Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays. You must pay the full adult fare at all other times
- On the Shields Ferry - show the ferry operator your Metro Gold Card when you board, from 9.30am Monday-Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays. You must pay the full adult fare at all other times
- On Northern Rail services between Newcastle and Sunderland – from 9.30am Monday-Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays, show the conductor your Metro Gold Card. You must pay the full adult fare at all other times
Can I travel free of charge to early morning hospital appointments?
Yes, if you need to travel before 9.30am in order to get to/from a hospital appointment, just show your hospital appointment card or letter with your CT Pass or Metro Gold Card when requested.
How to update your details
If you move house, call us on 0191 20 20 747 and give us your CT pass number, old address and new address, or write to us at Customer Services, Nexus, Nexus House, St James' Boulevard, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4AX. You can also contact us at this address or phone number to inform us of the death of a passholder. This will ensure that they are removed from our database, and you will receive no further correspondence from us.
Conditions of use
- All Concessionary Travel Passes remain the property of Nexus and will be withdrawn if misused
- Concessionary Travel Passes are not transferable and can only be used by the person named and shown on the pass
- For journeys on the ferry, and rail between Newcastle Metrocentre/Blaydon, you will be required to purchase a ticket to use with your Concessionary Travel Pass
- For journeys on Metro, or on Northern Rail services between Newcastle and Sunderland, you will be required to purchase a full adult ticket if you do not have a valid Metro Gold Card
- Concessionary Travel Passes can only be used for travel on specified local public transport services in England
- Notwithstanding the above, the pass holder is subject to the General Conditions of Carriage and passenger regulations of the participating operators
The Tyne and Wear Concessionary Travel Scheme is financed by the Integrated Transport Authority and administered by Nexus in conjunction with your Local Authority.
A Companion Card lets you take someone with you free of charge when you travel on buses in Tyne and Wear, County Durham, Northumberland and Darlington. It’s available to residents of Tyne and Wear who receive certain allowances and are not able to travel without a companion. Find out more here.
Keeping us informed
Please keep us informed of any changes to your details, eg change of address. We will need to be sent documentation confirming the change before we update our records. There will be a £5 charge if we need to issue a new pass (eg for change of name or photo).
National Fraud Initiative 2014/15: The Passenger Transport Executive (Nexus) is required by law under Section 6 and part 24 of the Audit Commission Act 1998 to participate in the National Fraud Initiative’s data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud. This includes supplying data about concessionary travel pass holders to the Audit Commission. If you have any questions about this please contact Nexus. You can also obtain information from the Audit Commission. For general enquiries to the Audit Commission call 0303 444 8330 or write to The Audit Commission, 3rd Floor Fry Building, 2 Malsham Street, London SW1P 4DF.