If you're aged between 16-18 years old the 16-18 MetroSaver is definitely for you. With this ticket you can travel for just £7.50 a week. That's a 60% discount off an adult season ticket and it is valid on the Metro, Shields Ferry and local rail services between Newcastle and Sunderland*. It can also be used on the Quaylink bus.
* You need a special ticket to accompany your smartcard to travel between Newcastle and Sunderland on Northern Rail. Collect yours at any Nexus TravelShop.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for the 16-18 MetroSaver:
- You must be aged 16 or 17 years old on 31 August 2014
- You do not need to be in full time education to be eligible for the 16-18 MetroSaver
The 16-18 MetroSaver is valid on the whole of the Metro system. You can get a ticket for either one or four weeks.
|Zones||one week||four weeks|
How to buy one
First you need to get a Pop card because this is what your 16-18 MetroSaver will be loaded onto.
Apply for your FREE Pop card online here. You will need to upload a photograph.
Your Pop card will take about five working days to arrive in the post. When it arrives take it to a Nexus TravelShop and staff will activate your 16-18 discount. You'll need to show proof that you are aged 16 or 17 years on 31 August 2014.
Once you have your Pop card and your 16-18 discount has been activated you can buy or renew your 16-18 MetroSaver:
- At any Metro station ticket machine. Watch the how-to guide here.
- At a Nexus TravelShop.
- At a Payzone store. Click here to find your nearest store.
If you already have a Pop card, register it here to renew online.
Please note lost and stolen tickets are non-refundable. Conditions of use apply.