If issued with a £20 Penalty Fare (or lower amount), you must pay
on the spot or within 21 days.
- After 21 days an administration fee of £30 will be added to the Penalty Fare total.
- If after 35 days the total amount has not been paid a further administration fee of £30 will be added.
- If you fail to pay the Penalty Fare you may be prosecuted. Conviction would result in a criminal record and a fine.
Payment can be made:
- Online at www.ircas.co.uk
- By calling 0844 544 8458 and select option 1.
- In person at Reception at South Gosforth Control Centre, Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm, except bank holidays (please bring the Penalty Fare Notice with you).
- In writing to: IRCAS, PO Box 212, Petersfield, GU32 9BQ. Please use the pre-printed form at the bottom of the Penalty Fare Notice.
Appealing against your Penalty Fare
You do have a right to appeal a Penalty Fare. This must be made in writing within 21 days of the issue date. You should include the following information:
Why you did not produce a valid ticket or another authority to travel.
Time and place where your journey began.
Time and place where your journey ended.
Any further information you have to support your explanation.
You can appeal online here or write to: Independendent Appeals Service, PO Box 212, Petersfield, GU32 9BQ.
If you would rather discuss your Metro complaint in private please contact the Customer Relations Department on 0191 203 3199 to book an appointment.