There will be no trains between Wallsend and Tynemouth stations from 11 August until 3 September.
Stations between Hadrian Road and North Shields will be closed and ticket machines will be emptied and switched off.
Bus replacement service
- We're providing a frequent bus replacement service which will call near to all stations in the affected area.
- You'll be able to buy your Metro ticket on board the bus.
- You can also use your Metro Travelpass on the replacement bus (if valid in that zone).
- Leave extra time when travelling as your journey may take longer.
- See the bus replacement stopping points
Keep up to date
- Visit nexus.org.uk/metro
- Call North East Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 to plan your journey
- Sign up for free email alerts and get updates before travelling here
You'll have noticed some of the improvements to Metro already-refurbished trains, new ticket machines and ticket validation points have been installed and there have been station refurbishments at Howdon, Meadow Well, Chillingham Road and the new North Shields station.
Other improvements aren't as visible but are just as important and include track replacement, cabling renewals, bridgework and signalling maintenance. These works will provide a more reliable and comfortable service. Much of the modernisation work involves temporary closure of stations or certain sections of Metro line, usually on a weekend to keep the level of disruption to a minimum. However, when extensive work is required major line closures like this one is unavoidable.
On 3 September we plan for this section of the line to reopen and for a usual Monday timetable service to operate.