Nexus launches new local bus links for Gateshead

Passengers boarding bus
24 May 2011

NEXUS LAUNCHES NEW LOCAL BUS LINKS FOR GATESHEAD

Nexus is improving local bus links in Gateshead, with new and revised services starting on 29 May.

The changes follow the biggest ever consultation with Tyne and Wear residents on the bus services they want to see, held last year.

They affect the 10% of the bus network Nexus provides using funding from local authorities, which were partners in the consultation.

The improved map of services provides better links to local shops and services, including hospitals, for tens of thousands of homes. Full details of the changes can be found at nexus.org.uk.

Improvements include:

  • A new hourly bus, R3/R4, from 7am until midnight, 7 days a week, linking Clara Vale via Crawcrook, Ryton Village, Crookhill, Stargate, Blaydon, Winlaton, Winlaton Mill, Rowlands Gill to High Spen.
  • A new daytime taxi-bus, TB15, linking Rowlands Gill to Ryton via Hookergate, Barlow and Winlaton.
  • An extended service 29, to link from Kibblesworth to Birtley. Racecourse Estate and Bensham Hospital will be served by a more frequent half-hourly shuttle service, the TB29.
  • A revised and extended service 68, with a new route from Bill Quay to Windy Nook, and now going on to Wrekenton via Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Easedale Gardens.
  • Improved links to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital from Fewster Square via Wrekenton, Eighton Banks, Black Lane and Beacon Lough Estate on the revised TB10 route, also taking in Stone Street and Leam Lane.
  • A new daytime link between Rowlands Gill and Burnopfield on a revised R5 service.
  • Higher frequency on the TB14, which will be extended to South Portobello.
  • Bigger buses on the new 643 route, replacing the existing TB43 taxi-bus on the same route.

 

There are also minor timetable or route changes to the following services 69/69A, 94, 187, TB529.  Go North East is also changing some services it operates directly.

Tobyn Hughes, Director of Customer Services for Nexus, said: “We set out to address the two main concerns for bus users – they want buses that get passengers where they want to go, at the right times for them.

“We concentrated our changes on the 10% of bus services subsidised by Nexus using funds from local authorities, but made sure our plans fit in with the other 90% of services which are provided commercially by private operators to their own routes and timetables.

“Our plans have been revised in response to the feedback we received during the consultation. We would like to thank everyone who took the time and effort to provide us with their views on how bus services could be improved.”

Bus routes which Nexus funds at all times will also get a new livery, so they are easy to identify, and a new simple fare structure to make them more convenient for local people to use.

Bus companies in the region are now registering new routes and changes to routes that fit in with the Nexus improvement to local bus links.

Improvements to bus links in Newcastle and North Tyneside were launched by Nexus in March this year, and more changes  are planned for later this year in Sunderland, following further consultation with local councils.

South Tyneside’s local bus services were changed last year as part of the Better Bus partnerships with local operators.

<ENDS>