Stay safe in your car
The level crossings on the Metro system are open crossings. They have no barriers or gates. Road traffic signs are provided at these crossings. They are also protected by flashing red light 'stop' signals and an audible alarm.
How to use the crossing
- Drive carefully up to the crossing and be ready to stop.
- You must stop behind the white line, if the red lights are flashing.
- If you have already crossed the white line when the amber light comes on, keep going.
- Never reverse onto or over the crossing.
- Only cross when the lights go out.
Stay safe on foot
Metro level crossings are safe if you use them correctly, but dangerous if you don't. Using them correctly is easy:
- If the red lights are flashing, you must always stop and wait.
- At footpath crossings without flashing lights, stop to look and listen for trains. Do not start to cross if there is a train coming.
- Never get distracted-for example by talking on a mobile phone, texting or listening to music or headphones.
- Don't let children run or wander off. If you have a dog with you, keep it on a lead.