North entrance to Pedestrian Tyne Tunnel
These sculptures were commissioned by the Passenger Transport Authority to mark the entrance to the Tyne Pedestrian and Cycle Tunnel which opened for public use in 1951.
The 900ft tunnel was constructed to provide an important link under the Tyne for the communities of Jarrow and Howdon as well as incorporating lift access the tunnel is served by the longest single escalator in Europe which carries pedestrians up over 85ft to the surface.
‘Echo’ is an ellipitcal form split into two halves to represent both sides of the river and linked to denote the various river crossings. Names of the businesses that operate along the river are etched into the sculpture’s stainless steel surface. ‘The Ones That Got Away’ features five fish swimming in and out of the ground, light shimmering on their iridescent surfaces.
Artist's website - http://www.fionagraydesigns.co.uk/.