Many bus services in Tyne and Wear are operated with low floor buses. These have powered or manual ramps to make it easier for disabled people to board and have dedicated wheelchair spaces. Traveline can give details of which services are operated with low floor vehicles:
There are Government regulations about the assistance bus drivers are required to give disabled passengers - please refer to the leaflet below.
Safety and security
We want people to feel safe when they are travelling. We also want people to feel safe when they are walking to and waiting at the bus stop.
- CCTV in bus shelters across Tyne & Wear and are investing in new Wi-Fi units this year
- CCTV in our major interchanges and are investing further putting new systems in at Heworth, Jarrow, Concord, South Shields and Park Lane this year
- Dedicated security teams working at major interchanges until late at night to ensure passengers feel safe
- An exclusion order policy in place and take steps to ban individuals who are abusive to staff or other passengers and
- We are working with the police and community safety officers to target areas where there are problems