What are we consulting about?
This consultation is about services W1 and W3 in North Tyneside.
Why are we considering changes to this service?
In recent months we have received correspondence from residents in the Valley Gardens area requesting a direct link between Valley Gardens and Sainsbury’s in West Monkseaton.
What changes are we proposing?
We plan to remove the Valley Gardens loop from the W3 and instead serve this estate with an extension to the W1.
How will passengers be affected by these changes?
- The desired direct link between Valley Gardens and West Monkseaton Sainsbury’s will be restored with an hourly service Monday – Saturday daytime.
- There would be a new direct link to Valley Gardens from Hillheads Estate/West Monkseaton/South Wellfield/Eardson Grange, giving improved access to local schools.
- The direct link between Valley Gardens and North Tyneside General Hospital/New York/Percy Main will be lost with passengers needing to transfer between services in Whitley Bay town centre instead.
- Journey times on the W1 between Whitley Bay and Hillheads Estate/West Monkseaton/South Wellfield/Earsdon Grange will increase by 3-4 minutes.
- The route/timetable for service W1A would not be changed.
Maps showing the proposed new W1 and W3 are below.
This consultation has now closed. The consultation was open from 8 February – 31 March 2017. We received e-mails from 2 local residents and 1 Councillor, 1 letter from a local resident and the consultation web-page was viewed 207 times.
In light of the comments received, we have decided not to introduce the planned changes. The existing route/timetable on services W1/W1A and W3 will therefore continue to operate.
We would like to thank those who responded for taking the time to provide us with their feedback on our plans.