If you're aged between 16-18 years old the 16-18 MetroSaver is definitely for you. With this ticket you can travel for just £7.50 a week. That's a 60% discount off an adult season ticket and it is valid on the Metro, Shields Ferry and local rail services between Newcastle and Sunderland*. It can also be used on the Quaylink buses in the Quaylink Central Zone**.
* You need a special ticket to accompany your smartcard to travel between Newcastle and Sunderland on Northern Rail. Collect yours at any Nexus TravelShop.
** Quaylink Central Zone buses cover Q1 and Q2 between Central Station and Gateshead Interchange, and Q3 between Haymarket Bus Station and St Peter's Basin.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for the 16-18 MetroSaver:
- You must be aged 16 or 17 years old on 31 August 2017
- You do not need to be in full time education to be eligible for the 16-18 MetroSaver
The 16-18 MetroSaver is valid on the whole of the Metro system. You can get a ticket for either one or four weeks.
|Zones||one week||four weeks|
How to buy one
First you need to get a Pop card because this is what your 16-18 MetroSaver will be loaded onto.
Apply for your FREE Pop card online here. You will need to upload a photograph.
Your Pop card will take about five working days to arrive in the post. When it arrives take it to a Nexus TravelShop and staff will activate your 16-18 discount. You'll need to show proof that you are aged 16 or 17 years on 31 August 2017.
Once you have your Pop card and your 16-18 discount has been activated you can buy or renew your 16-18 MetroSaver:
- At any Metro station ticket machine.
- At a Nexus TravelShop.
- At a Payzone store. Click here to find your nearest store.
If you already have a Pop card, register it here to renew online.
Please note lost and stolen tickets are non-refundable. Conditions of use apply.