If issued with a £20 Penalty Fare (or lower amount), you must pay on the spot or within 21 days.
- After 21 days an administration fee of £30 will be added to the Penalty Fare total
- If after 35 days the total amount has not been paid a further administration fee of £30 will be added
- If you fail to pay the Penalty Fare you may be prosecuted. Conviction would result in a criminal record and a fine
Payment can be made
- Online at payments.nexus.org.uk (A handling fee of £0.25 will apply)
- By calling 0191 203 3199 Monday to Friday 9:00am-5:00pm (A handling fee of £0.25 will apply)
- In person at Reception at South Gosforth Control Centre, Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm, except bank holidays (please bring your Penalty Fare Notice with you)
- By post to: Metro Customer Relations, Metro Control Centre, Station Road, South Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 1YT. Please make your cheque or Postal Order made payable to 'Nexus', enclose your Penalty Fare Notice with payment
Appealing against your Penalty Fare
You do have a right to appeal a Penalty Fare. This must be made in writing within 21 days of the issue date. You should include the following information:
Why you did not produce a valid ticket or another authority to travel.
Time and place where your journey began.
Time and place where your journey ended.
Any further information you have to support your explanation.
Send your appeal to: Penalty Services Limited, 9 Deben Mill Business Centre, Old Maltings Approach, Melton, Woodbridge, Suffolk, IP12 1BL. Or appeal electronically at penaltyservices.co.uk
Please refer to your notice and check the name of your appeals service. If it states to appeal to PSL (or Penalty Services Ltd), please continue appealing on this website. However, if it states to appeal to IPFAS, please go to penaltyfares.co.uk
If you would rather discuss your Metro complaint in private please contact the Customer Relations Department on 0191 203 3199 to book an appointment.