What’s Pop 19-21?
Pop 19-21 is the smart new way for young people aged 19 to 21 and under to pay for public transport in North East England.
Simply top up your Pop 19-21 card and use it to pay for your journeys as you make them.
Where can I get a Pop 19-21 card?
Get your Pop 19-21 card online here. The card itself is free but must be purchased with a £10 balance.
Where can I use my Pop 19-21 card?
You can use Pop 19-21 on Metro, on almost all buses in Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, County Durham and the Tees Valley, and on the Shields Ferry. Pop 19-21 works differently on Metro, bus and ferry:
• On Metro - pay for your trip by touching in at the Metro station validator or gate at the start of your journey and touching out at the end. You’ll only pay for the journey you have made and we’ll calculate the best fare for you.
• On buses - pay for commercial single, return and day tickets from the driver using your Pop 19-21 balance.
• On the Shields Ferry – pay for a 19-21 Single or a 19-21 Day Ticket using your Pop 19-21 balance.
Will I need to prove how old I am when I travel?
You may be asked for proof of age when travelling on Metro or the Shields Ferry with a Pop 19-21 card; here's what we'll accept as ID:
• ID card with the PASS hologram
• NHS Medical card
• Passport or Birth Certificate (copies will be accepted, including electronic versions)
Find out more about Pop 19-21 in our Pop 19-21 FAQs