Here's all the information you'll need to get around by public transport in Tyne and Wear if you're aged 16-18:
Planning your journey
- Use our interactive Live Travel Map to see the next bus, Metro, train and Shields Ferry times from every stop and station in Tyne and Wear and to plan your journey. Bus times are Real-Time where available - which means it's the time the bus is expected to actually leave your stop. Find out more about the Live Travel Map and Real-Time here.
- If you're at a sixth form at a secondary school, click here and then go to 'In this section' for school buses in your area
- If you know the number of the bus you need, click here to find the timetable.
- Metro timetables are here
Tickets and passes
Finding the best ticket for you will depend on what type of transport you use.
- If you're 16 or over and travelling on a dedicated school bus service you can travel for a flat fare of 90p.
- You can get discounts on adult fares when you're aged 16-18.
Pop blue is the smart way to pay for your travel in North East England if you're aged 18 or under. Just load a balance onto your Pop blue card and use it to pay for journeys as you make them. A Pop blue card gives you special discounted fares on Metro (click to find out more) that are much cheaper than buying adult Single or Day Tickets. You can use your Pop blue card to get discounted fares on the Shields Ferry and also pay for journeys on the bus, see our Pop blue FAQs for full details.
And of course these passes aren't just valid for getting to and from college, your apprenticeship or job - you can use them at any time to get to nights out, a part-time job, go shopping - whatever you want.
- Call Nexus Customer Services on 0191 20 20 747 (9am-5pm, Monday to Friday) for all public transport advice and information, or send them a query here.
If you're a student aged 19 or over, information about fares and tickets for you is here.
If you're aged under 16, click here to find out how to save money on fares with an Under 16 Pop card.