In March 2020, Go North East will make some changes to their North Tyneside bus network. These changes will affect services 11, 19, 40/41 and 42/42A. Nexus currently pay for some journeys on each of these services – mostly during early morning, late evening and Sunday daytime, when the numbers of passengers are lower.
Nexus know from customer feedback that passengers want services that are simple and easy to understand. We have therefore changed the journeys that we fund so that services follow a common route and go to the same stops throughout each day.
Nexus is normally required to consult with users before making changes to services we pay for. On this occasion we needed to take action before seeking the views of external stakeholders, to ensure there was no gap in services provided. We believe we have acted in the best interest of passengers. We would, however, welcome any feedback/comments you have in response to our actions. Any feedback provided will then be taken into account within any future reviews of these services.
Here's a summary of the planned changes:
11: Wallsend – Whitley Bay
• Go North East will be making minor changes to the Monday – Saturday daytime timetable in order to improve the reliability of the service.
• The Nexus funded evening and Sunday journeys will operate to a new route and timetable. The route and stops used within Wallsend and Whitley Bay town centres will be revised to match the current daytime service.
• Following contract changes by Nexus, all evening and Sunday journeys will now be operated by Central Taxis of Gateshead. Go North East tickets and passes will continue to be valid.
19: Ashington – North Shields/Ferry
UPDATE: 11 March 2020
New funding has been provided to save the Go North East service 19. Monday – Saturday daytime trips will now continue to operate hourly to/from Ashington, Earsdon, Seaton Delaval, Cramlington, Bedlington and Stakeford. New hourly evening trips will also be provided leaving Silverlink at 7.08pm, 8.08pm and 9.08pm, going to Shankhouse via Cobalt, Northumberland Park, Seaton Delaval and Cramlington. The new Monday – Saturday (daytime) timetable from 22 March is attached below.
• Following contract changes by Nexus, evening and Sunday journeys between North Shields, North Shields Ferry landing and Northumberland Park will be operated by Central Taxis of Gateshead. There will be no changes to the evening and Sunday route or timetable. Go North East tickets/passes will continue to be valid.
40/41: Wallsend – Hadrian Park – Wallsend
• Go North East will replace the 40/41 with a new service 41. This will run every 15 minutes between Hadrian Park, Battle Hill, High Farm and Wallsend on Monday – Saturday daytime. From Wallsend, buses will then continue every 30 minutes serving a one-way (anti-clockwise) loop of Howdon, Holy Cross and then back to Wallsend.
• The Nexus funded evening and Sunday route will be amended to match the new daytime route with buses running every 30 minutes between Hadrian Park, Battle Hill, High Farm, Wallsend and Howdon/Holy Cross.
• Following contract changes by Nexus, evening and Sunday journeys between Hadrian Park and Howdon/Holy Cross will now be operated by Central Taxis of Gateshead. Go North East tickets/passes will continue to be valid.
42/42A: North Shields – Cramlington/Kingston Park
• A new timetable and route will be introduced for services 42/42A which will now operate between Wallsend and Cramlington/Kingston Park only.
• The 42A will now go to Four Lane Ends, Quorum Business Park and West Moor (instead of Forest Hall).
• Services 42/42A will no longer operate between North Shields and Wallsend.
• Nexus have replaced the 42/42A between Cobalt and North Shields by extending service 335 (every 30 minutes Monday – Friday daytime & every 60 minutes Saturday daytime). The 335 will continue to be operated by Central Taxis of Gateshead. Go North East tickets/passes will not be valid for travel on this service.
• Nexus do not intend to replace the lost section of the 42/42A between Wallsend and Cobalt, as most parts of this section are already covered by other services (see Go North East services 1/1A, 11 & new 41, or Stagecoach service 22).
• Nexus have amended the evening and Sunday 42A route to go to Four Lane Ends, Quorum and West Moor – allowing a common simple route throughout the day.
• Following contract changes by Nexus, evening and Sunday trips between Wallsend, Cramlington and Kingston Park will now be operated by Central Taxis of Gateshead. Go North East tickets/passes will continue to be valid.
This consultation ran from 24 February until 6 April 2020. Changes to services were introduced from Sunday 22 March 2020.
This consultation is now closed - the results are attached below.