What are we consulting about?
Planned changes to Nexus funded (evening/Sunday) trips on service 32a in Newcastle.
Why are we considering changes to these services?
As we emerge from the pandemic, travel patterns have changed. We recently completed a review of the services we fund in Newcastle to ensure that they continue to meet the needs of communities and provide good value for money. This review highlighted very low demand for evening trips on service 32a.
What changes are we proposing?
- Daily evening trips on service 32a cancelled due to low demand
- Sunday daytime trips on service 32a reduced to hourly, but extended to/from Walker
How would customers/residents be affected by these changes?
During the evening (after 1900hrs)
- Some direct bus links to the west of Newcastle would be lost with some customers required to transfer between services to complete their journey
- A small number of roads in west Newcastle would no longer be served, this would include sections of Wingrove Road, Bentinck Road, Buddle Road, Pendower Way, Two Ball Lonnen and Kenton Lane. Most residents on these roads would continue to be within 400m of alternative services.
Sunday daytime (0900 – 1900hrs)
- Frequency of trips between Newcastle – Kenton reduced to hourly (currently half-hourly)
- Extension of route to/from Walker would provide residents in parts of Shieldfield, Jesmond Vale and Walker with a new hourly service with direct links to Byker, Newcastle city centre & RVI Hospital.
- The following roads to the east of Newcastle (which are not currently served by bus on a Sunday) would see the introduction of an hourly bus service: Falconar St, Simpson Terrace, Shield Street (note also related consultation on services 33/33a), Newington Road, Dinsdale Road, Springbank Road, Ouseburn Road, Stratford Road, Heaton Park Road, Sutton Street, Scrogg Road & Wharrier Street.
This consultation is now closed.
All feedback received on or before 12 January 2022 will be taken into consideration.
The results of the consultation will appear here once it has been evaluated.