- Valid on:
What is Companion Card?
A Companion Card lets you take someone with you free of charge when you travel on buses in Tyne and Wear, County Durham, Northumberland and Darlington. It’s available to residents of Tyne and Wear who receive certain allowances and need a companion to make all, or some, journeys.
So if you need to take a companion with you in order to be able to use buses, and they normally have to buy a ticket, they no longer need to – as long as they are travelling with you, and you have your Companion Card with you. If you have a Metro Gold Card, your Companion Card will be valid on Metro too.
See the table below for full details of fares on all local transport.
Will I qualify for a Companion Card?
You will automatically qualify for the scheme if you receive either of the following:
- higher rate care component of the Disability Living Allowance
- high rate Attendance Allowance
- the Mobility component of the War Disablement Pension (WDP)
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - the decision letter must either show that:
- you have scored at least 8 points in either the Communicating Verbally or Planning or Following a Journey sections, or
- you are in receipt of or have been awarded the enhanced rate (meaning you have scored at least 12 points) of the Mobility component of PIP
You should only apply for a Companion Card if you need a companion to make all, or some, journeys. A companion is someone who offers you significant assistance throughout the journey - this means help in boarding, moving around and getting off a vehicle. This card is not for people who can travel alone, but who need a carer in other aspects of their life. When you're travelling with a companion, they must accompany you for your entire journey to be able to use your Companion Card. You're also allowed to travel using a Companion Card if you don't have a companion with you. Nexus reserves the right to withdraw the card if it suspects there is abuse of this concession.
If your circumstances should change at any time eg you have mobility/disability issues but are able to travel independently, you must contact Nexus Customer Services team who will exchange your Companion Card for a Disabled Pass.
How to apply
You’ll need to complete a Companion Card application form. Request one by calling 0191 20 20 747, emailing [email protected] or writing to:
Companion Card Applications, Nexus, Nexus House, St James Boulevard, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4AX.
Or you can pick one up from a Nexus TravelShop – just ask for a Companion Card application form.
What happens next?
Return your application to Customer Services, Nexus, Nexus House, St James Boulevard, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4AX. If you already have a Concessionary Travel Pass, your Companion Card will replace it (it looks the same, but has a 'C+' in the corner).
How do I use my Companion Card?
|If you're travelling on||You pay||Your Companion pays|
|Local buses in Tyne and Wear, Northumberland, County Durham and Darlington||FREE||FREE|
|Metro* with a Metro Gold Card||FREE||FREE|
|Metro* without a Metro Gold Card||Adult fare||Adult fare|
|Northern Rail services between Newcastle and Metrocentre/Blaydon||50p||50p|
*or Northern Rail services between Newcastle and Sunderland or the Shields Ferry.
Your Companion Card is valid for use at the same times as your Concessionary Travel Pass – ie after 9.30am on weekdays and all day at weekends and public holidays (or all day at all times if you have an All Day CT Pass). Please note that all day passes are not valid before 9.30am on weekdays if the journey starts outside Tyne and Wear.
Conditions of the Companion Card scheme
1. Companion Cards are available for Tyne and Wear residents who receive the higher rate care component of the Disability Living Allowance, high rate Attendance Allowance, the Mobility component of the War Disablement Pension (WDP) and/or Personal Independence Payment (at least 8 points in Communicating Verbally or Planning or Following a Journey sections or the enhanced rate of the Mobility component of PIP) who need a companion to make all, or some, journeys.
2. You must qualify for a Concessionary Travel Pass to be able to apply for a Companion Card.
3. The companion travelling with a cardholder will be able to travel free of charge on local buses in Tyne and Wear, Northumberland, County Durham and Darlington at the times at which concessionary travel is available (after 9.30am Monday to Friday and all day on weekends and public holidays).
4. A companion will also be able to travel free of charge on the Metro if you have a Metro Gold Card.
5. A companion is someone who offers you significant assistance throughout your journey. This includes help in boarding, moving around and getting off a vehicle.
6. Nexus reserve the right to withdraw the card where it suspects there is abuse of this concession.