Take the kids for free this summer
Up to three kids aged 11 and under can travel for free on Metro and the Shields Ferry, all day, every day when accompanied by a fare-paying adult, and that includes anyone aged 18 or over using:
See ticket options ▼
- Metro Single
- Metro Day Ticket
- Adult Transfare
- Metro Season Ticket
- Student Metro Season Ticket
- 18 and Under Metro Season Ticket *
- Corporate Metro Season Ticket
- Pop PAYG
- Pop blue**
- Metro Gold Card
- Network One Anytime ticket
- Network One Adult Day Rover
- Network One Adult Explorer
- Network One University of Sunderland ticket
- Network One Students and Young People Ticket*
- *provided the ticket holder is aged 18 or over; proof of age may be requested
- **provided the Pop blue card holder is aged 18 or over; proof of age may be requested
Metro offers and activities
Visit our offers and activities page for money off deals with local attractions and fun activities to keep the kids entertained.Find out more
How do you take up the offer?
The fare-paying adult must be aged 18 or over and in possession of a valid ticket or validated smartcard. The accompanying children don’t need to have a ticket.
When using stations with gates speak to a member of our station customer service team who will provide you with access into and out of the station using the wide access gate. For safety reasons please do not attempt to use the gate without staff assistance at the same time as the child or children you’re travelling with.
Can kids go free on the Shields Ferry too?
Yes they can!Find out more