School bus services during Coronavirus
Bus companies and Nexus will provide extra buses to get pupils to and from schools across Tyne and Wear as the new term starts. The extra buses, supported by Government funding, are on top of normal services and dedicated home-school routes so pupils can travel in line with public health advice on Covid-19. As parents get ready for the new school term, Nexus has the following advice;
- Families should plan how their children will reach schools and colleges comfortably – walking and cycling where journeys are shorter, using a car for part of the journey but dropping off away from school gates, and identifying which public transport they can use if they need to.
- There will be extra buses on many services going to or near schools, following established routes. These will include buses on busy routes so pupils can travel separately to other passengers.
- Pupils using public transport should have exact change to make their journey wherever possible.
- Anyone using public transport should follow standard public health advice – washing hands thoroughly throughout the day, wearing a face covering if aged over 11 and not exempt, and not travelling if they have symptoms of Covid-19.
Dedicated school services
To help get schoolchildren to school from places where normal bus services don’t run, Nexus pays for special school bus services.
To find the school bus services for your school, simply click on the link for your district, see 'In this section' on the right. These are the school bus services for the 2020/21 academic year. For further information, please contact Nexus Customer Services on 0191 20 20 747 for all public transport advice and information.
Normal bus services
To check whether you can travel to school on a normal bus service:
- Try our LIve Travel Map by clicking here - simply enter your school's name, your home postcode and journey time to find your bus and Metro options. You can get Real-Time information here.
- Or call Nexus Customer Services on 0191 20 20 747 for all public transport advice and information.
If you are considering buying a season ticket or pass for a particular bus company, please check that both the morning and afternoon journeys are provided by the same company. Alternatively, a School Pass is valid on all services.
For more information about travel for children aged 16 and under, click here.