As part of the Government's roadmap out of lockdown, current travel guidance is to minimise the number of journeys you make where possible, avoiding travel at the busiest times and routes.
We want you to feel comfortable and secure when you travel by public transport in North East England. That means:
- We are cleaning and sanitising trains, buses and stations in new ways.
- We provide guidance and information throughout your journey to help you maintain social distance.
- Our customer service staff will manage stations to stop them becoming too busy.
- We meet the Government’s Covid-secure standard for public transport
If you do have to travel, continue to follow the travel safety advice below.
You can help us to keep you and fellow passengers safe by staying alert, and following a few simple steps:
- Plan your journey in advance.
- Reduce the number of journeys you make
- Follow guidance on your journey, such as floor and wall markings, to help maintain distance.
- Travel when it's less busy if you can.
- Open train windows to help with ventilation.
- Wearing a face covering on public transport and in stations/transport hubs is compulsory, except if you have an exemption for health reasons.
- Travel in groups of six or less.
- Click here for our Q&A on wearing face coverings, and if you are exempt from wearing a face covering because of a disability or health condition, click here for our Journey Assistance Cards. For access for all information click here
You’ll find more information on travel by Metro, bus and Shields Ferry in the sections below, along with information for pupils returning to schools and colleges, and getting to your vaccination centre.
Nexus, bus operators and local authorities in North East England are proud to provide Covid-secure travel for you when you need it.