The Government's travel guidance changed on 19 July 2021. Please plan ahead as services are likely to be busier, travel safely, continue to wear a face covering (unless exempt), sanitise your hands regularly, keep your distance from others where possible and open windows to increase ventilation.
Customers should continue to wear face coverings on Metro stations and trains, in bus stations and interchanges and when travelling on the Shields Ferry.
Wearing a face covering throughout your journey on Metro, is a Condition of Carriage and customers may be refused travel if they do not, unless they are exempt. Read more about this here
We want you to feel comfortable and secure when you travel by public transport in North East England. That means:
- We are cleaning and sanitising trains, buses and stations in new ways.
- We provide guidance and information throughout your journey to help us all stay safe
- We meet the Government’s Covid-secure standard for public transport
Please continue to follow the travel safety advice below.
- Plan your journey in advance.
- Travel when it's less busy if you can.
- Open train and bus windows to help with ventilation.
- Continue to wear a face covering on public transport and in stations/transport hubs, unless you are exempt
- If you are exempt from wearing a face covering because of a disability or health condition, click here for our Journey Assistance Cards.
You’ll find more information on travel by Metro, bus and Shields Ferry in the sections below, along with information about getting to your vaccination centre.
Nexus, bus operators and local authorities in North East England are proud to provide Covid-secure travel for you when you need it.